Thursday 23 October 2008

Bloody horses! Bloody Weather!

I could have killed Nell last week. After not being able to ride for 2 weeks thanks to atrocious weather, Tony Marr puts a brand new set of shoes on the mare. A few days later she's thrown one off. Tony shoes well, and even with her hooves she normally keeps them for at least 6 weeks, but somehow managed to pull it off. The hoof was in great condition - it hadn't cracked at all - and it looked like the shoe had just slid off the hoof, it was that clean. Thankfully Tony came out again and replaced it and today I finally managed a short ride 'round the lakes with my friend, her horse and our dogs. The weather has been as unpredictable as ever - wet and windy one day then warm and innocently sunny the next and now it's half term its just Sods law that it will pour down until the day I get back to college. On a tremendously positive note: Sarah's selling her half of Nell to me! The grumpy, bolshy, stubborn old mare will actually be all mine after christmas. Yes so she might not appeal to everyone with her headstrong character but I can't help but love her all the more for it. First things first though; I must buy her a new girth as her current one lost a buckle a few days ago and I went riding with only one buckle on the left today. Probably not a brilliant idea, but I was NOT going to miss another day of riding. If I hadn't been able to use the saddle I would definately got on her bareback. I was that desperate to ride.

No comments: