Thursday 23 October 2008

Horse Profile: Harriet


Harriet does not belong to us but is owned by a good friend of ours. She is a Shire x Cob and was the first horse I'd ever sat on. In fact it was Harriet who taught me to ride. A 16hh, 6yr old Shire x Cob is probably not most people's first option when their 11 yr old daughter says they want to ride but in our case she was our only choice. In fact Harriet turned out to be a perfect ride; Quiet, gentle and the most bomproof horse you've ever met but also willing and eager to move up a gear.

I learnt everything I could on Harriet and she is a perfect hacking horse. In the school was where I had difficulty. She was a big, strong horse and I was still learning. Although I continued to hack Harriet, I went elsewhere to have lessons. Two years on and I was able to handle Harriet much better and even Emma who started lessons in the same place began riding her. Although she has a naughty side which manifests itself in bucking when on the beach or cantering through a field, Harriet has been a solid and sturdy mount that always has a place in my heart, and now it seems Emma's too.



A quick run down:

  • Name: Harriet
  • Height: 16.2hh
  • Gender: Mare
  • Breed: Shire x
  • Colour: Black Sabino
  • DOB: 1997

  • Strength: 5/5
  • Stamina: 3/5
  • Speed: 4/5
  • Riding Comfort: 5/5
  • Temperment: 5/5

No comments: