Saturday 3 December 2011

Ride number 4 and we're ready to hack

Ride 1: Sitting and being led.
Ride 2: Walking in the round pen on the lunge.
Ride 3: Walking and some sitting trot in the round pen on lunge.
Ride 4: First ride up to the farm and back.

I think this is pretty good proof of just what a willing little horse Kel is going to be. I've been long reining for a long time now so the steering and brakes are all in good order. Getting him to move off the leg is the next phase as he has a habit of shutting down when leg is applied. I shall let you all know how that progresses.

The weather was absolutely trashy as well so it was certainly a test of his metal. It tipped it down and was dark by the time we set out. Mum accidentally pulled the bit off the side of his bridle when she tried leading him off Tralee so I dismounted, stuck the bit back in, went back, got back on and set off again without the use of the leadrope which I surprisingly felt safer with. Mum really wanted the rope on but then she also later told me that she had been shaking, watching me get on him. I think it's harder for her than it is for me which is understandable.
It wasn't a long ride at all - 10 minutes or so - but for his 4th ride I'm very proud.

It's not all plain sailing though. Kel decided a few days ago that he was not going to stay in the field with Rocky while Nell and Tralee went for a ride. So he jumped the hedge and the 4 and a half foot post and rail fence at the top and flew right over into the round field. Thankfully he caught easily and I stuck him behind the electric fencing without incident but he's certainly going to be quite the athletic little jumper when he's older.

No comments: