Monday 26 December 2011

Interesting is an understatement

So we decided to ride today while the weather was mild and it was a learning curve to say the least. Kel protested to standing still on the yard with a little buck - a first. He was pretty wired most of the way along the roads and irritating Tralee in front despite fighting with him to not bite the old boy on the backside. Thankfully Tralee is very tolerant of Kel and didn't even bat an eyelid.
Well we had already made up our minds about having a first canter before he really gets his feet so today was the big day. He was definately ready for it and rather desperate to just go. We jumped a puddle on the way into the field (I still feel bad about jabbing him in the mouth when I got left behind the movement) and after a few seconds of just walking to keep him settled, asked for a trot and then canter. He was unfazed by my bumping in the saddle at first (gosh that's a wake-up call my legs are unfit to stand at canter) then as he evened his pace out I managed to take up a decent position and get off his back. He slowed up nicely which was better than expected.
Then the problems started. He wanted to keep trotting. He's feeling fresh and abit fizzy at the moment which I think is related to being on haylage despite Peter saying it wouldn't make him hot. He was prancing and refusing to quiet down by evading the bit. So we turned downhill in the second field over, waiting for him to chill out. I left Mum and Tralee standing in the middle while I attempted to walk him up and down to get him listening again.
Kel was having none of it. Evaded the bit, ignored the outside leg and refused to go forwards. He put in a little rear which was easy to sit to thanks to my forward seat (Its the bucks that get me). Then when he did stand quiet and I turned him back towards Tralee the trotting started again so hauling him to the right, I tried to ask him to walk quietly again. After digging his feet in and refusing to budge, I used the old trick of slapping the end of the rein on the shoulder to get him moving. After a couple of slaps he rushed forward and sideways, very nearly unseating me. I felt the air beneath my butt before a handful of rein, mane and a solid leg on the opposite side got me seated back in the saddle.
After the tantrum, I did finally get my way though and he walked back up the field and for the majority of the way home -Not tired but defeated in this battle at least.
So we're cutting down on the haylage and this week I'm going to start his schooling education - particularly in regards to stopping and turning when asked. This has been just a taster but Kel is a smart boy. I hope he realises that after trying and failing to get me off, he's better off just listening first time. We shall see.

No comments: