Saturday 23 May 2009

Show time!

Today was a beautiful day for a show although we very nearly missed our first class. There was some confusion as to whether the horses were meant to be ridden or in hand but as it turned out it could be either. ?:S



The same judge as last year was judging our ring. Typical. Just like last year, if you were standing in front in the row, you got placed first. If you were the last one in the row... you guessed it. Unfortunately Emma and I were at the back so Nell got 5th and Rocky got 6th. Rather unfair considering all the other competitors were riding their veterans.



The fancy dress was so much fun! Rocky and Emma as you can see were pirates, and I was a highwayman on my masked steed. I'm not sure what the judges problem was but I cam 4th out of 4 for that. I suspect she doesn't like haflingers, or if rumours are correct, chestnuts. She placed a little grey pony, who was an absolute mess in the family pony class higher than the palomino who was brilliant and went off on pefect leads. Rocky claimed a 2nd prize in the fancy dress though, so at least one of ours now has a ribbon in the top three.

The other two competitors was a "native american" and a little grey pony with such a jumble of stuff, I didn't know what it was meant to be... I personally thought Nell looked stunning and her behaviour was such an improvement from last year.

We did have a little trouble in the fancy dress ring when she was moved away from Rocky but backing up is certainly not the worst she could do. On the way out of the show grounds she decided Rocky should walk in front. I asked her nicely to walk on and as she continued to refuse after being nice to her, I gave her a good boot in the sides. She complained. With a large number of people and horses watching us, she threw a fit; her front feet coming up a short way then down, followed by a nice buck and then the front feet again. Broncing doesn't work on me anymore though. I know her too well, read the signs and know exactly how to ride them out. I asked her to walk forward again and reluctantly realised that going in front was far easier than having a tantrum.
Overall I have enjoyed myself today. Nell's behaviour was far more satisfying than any rossette and in my eyes she was the best horse in that ring. Rocky comes close, but I guess you're biased when they're your own. ;)

No comments: