Sunday 1 March 2009

Loving that Spring sunshine

These past few weeks have been absolutely beautiful. Rugs have come off, the grass in shooting through and there is NO mud!

Lucy and Nell both had a leg, mane and tail wash today down at Kestel. I was on my own so it was a bit difficult getting them both down but I managed. With a rucksack on my back, and the sun on my face, I jumped astride Nell bareback with a leadrope on Lucy.

Lucy is much slower than Nell so it was a bit of a struggle dragging her behind while keeping Nell in the right direction. We made it down to Kestel in one peice though and both ponies are now cleaner. Lucy's tail which was black is now a light cream. Not quite the correct colour - but not stained with poo is a start. Nell's mane and tail are shocking white and her legs and clean. We had a bit of trouble with cracked heels but by the time we discovered the scabs they had almost healed anyway. I scrubbed them with hibiscrub just to be sure then let the girls have a good roll in the sandschool so they wouldn't get filthy rolling in the field.

The way back was a little more testing as Lucy decided it would be fun to tank up the field. The imediate thought was 'SHIT! Let go of the leadrope!' but she stopped. So I kept hold of the rope. Either my strength was enough to pull her back or she just realised Nell was not going to race her. She played up again further up the field but Nell was a gem and behaved while the 28 yr old going on 2 pranced around with the wind up her ass.

No comments: