Friday 25 February 2011

Bouncing Back


Since our first test ride, Nell has been on a strict fitness regime starting right from scratch. She has been walking and trotting only to help build muscle tone and now on the 5th week she has started short spurts of canter on the flat. Keeping her weight down will also be incredibly important in order to keep her sound from now on as the less weight she has to put on her tendon the better. She works in brushing boots all the time now to help support the leg and is doing lots of roadwork to harden her tendons and hooves. 3 rides a week is the minimum she must do so I have to make an effort even if its raining to get off my butt and ride her out. I am hoping to lose a bit of weight this year as well to ensure she isn't struggling. As long as everything goes to plan I will be starting a job in the chicken house up at Kestal which will require cycling up there and back every day. Extending that by going home the long way should shift some excess weight and increase my fitness. After all I shouldn't expect Nell to get fit and be sound while compensating for an unfit rider. All being well, I hope to get a project horse this year. There is still a lot to do however and for as much as we manage to finish, something new is always around the corner to send us back to square one. That's horses I guess...

No comments: